CORRAL DE TIERRA, Calif. (KION) UPDATE 1/8/20 10:16 p.m. A family and their pet are safe tonight after a fire torched their home in a Corral de Tierra neighborhood west of Salinas.
Fire officials tell KION firefighters were able to save a significant amount of the home on Pleasant Valley Lane. They were also able to save the family's cat.
Flames tore through the home Wednesday afternoon, sending clouds of black smoke billowing into the air.
“Upon arriving, we had a heavy fire and smoke coming out chimney, and a pretty good fire starting. It appears it go out of the chimney flow and into the box,” Justin Keisling with the Monterey County Regional Fire District said.
The Monterey County Regional Fire District tells me the the fire then spread to the attic, causing significant damage to the home's roof and ceiling.
One person was inside when the fire broke out, but thankfully no one was injured.
Firefighters rescued the family’s cat from the blaze.
“While there was damage in the attic, it was a 2,200 square foot home approximately, they were able to save a significant amount of the home," Deputy Fire Marshal Dorothy Priolo said.
The Deputy Fire Marshal told KION the resident lit a fire in the fireplace earlier in the day, and when the situation got worse, she called 911.
Approximately 20 firefighters helped to contain the flames by around 3:30 p.m.
They remained after dark to mop up, making sure there aren’t any hot spots left and salvaging anything they could for the homeowner.
Fire officials said the residents will not be able to occupy the home at this time due to all of the damage.
The Monterey County Regional Fire District responded to a structure fire in the Corral de Tierra area Wednesday afternoon.
The call came in at around 2:30. According to Seaside Fire, the fire started in the attic of the home on Pleasant Valley Lane. They said it was tough to fight because of the tongue and groove construction of the ceiling, and it took about an hour to put out.
Crews also got support from Monterey Fire, Seaside Fire, Salinas Fire and Gonzales Fire.