Skip to Content
Salinas

Debate over ownership of Dick Bruhn building goes to court

bruhn 2
The City of Salinas is asking that the Dick Bruhn's building be placed in receivership

SALINAS, Calif. (KION) The fight for ownership over the blighted Dick Bruhn building in downtown Salinas continues after the matter was continued during a hearing Friday morning in a Monterey court room.

For now, the building will sit vacant for a bit longer in downtown Salinas.

"I would really love to see something happen," says Heather Kirk, who has worked next-door at Ariel Theatrical since just after the fire back in February of 2016.

"The owner said that something would happen. But, we just haven't seen any movement and we'd love to see something, you know, developed that would bring in more families, more people downtown and make this a more vibrant area," says Kirk.

However, that was the hope for the property following the massive electrical fire, according to the property owner's attorney John Domingue.

"Plans started happening to develop the property into a vibrant use, something that would really add to the downtown area... and a lot of effort was spent by the property owner doing that," says Domingue.

That "vibrant use" would be some sort of mixed-use area, but the concept still isn't quite clear.

"I did review the plans and they look very exciting. They looked very well done, very tasteful for the area," says Domingue.

Since December of last year, the city of Salinas has been seeking receivership for the building.

That move came as the current owners of the Bruhn building have yet to repair any of the damage done by the 2016 fire.

Domingue says, legally there are a number of requirements that need to be satisfied in order to appoint a receiver. Domingue also argues the city of Salinas has not shown how the building poses a safety risk to the public, or given the property owner a "reasonable opportunity" to address the issues and re-develop the building.

"The plans have been submitted. But, the plans - as of yet - have not been approved," says Domingue.

Community members hope those plans will benefit current businesses on Main Street.

"We'd love to see something happen... and something good... soon," says Kirk.

KION reached out to the City Attorney's office in Salinas, and Christopher Callahan says he can not comment on pending litigation at this time.

The next court hearing is expected in August.

Central Coast / Monterey County / News / Top Stories
Author Profile Photo

Max Tarlton

Max Tarlton is a morning anchor at KION News Channel 5/46.

Comments

Leave a Reply