SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KION)
UPDATE 7/13/2020 12 p.m. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that several business sectors will be required to close indoor operations statewide and counties on the state's watch list will be required to close more indoor operations at businesses.
All closures are effective immediately.
Counties on the watch list, including Monterey and San Benito Counties, will now be required to close indoor operations at:
- Fitness centers
- Worship services
- Offices for non-critical sectors
- Personal care services
- Hair salons and barbershops
All remaining California counties, including Santa Cruz County, will have to include indoor operations at:
- Movie theaters
Bars are ordered to close all operations. Additional county opening variances are also prohibited.
Placer, Sonoma, Sutter and Yuba Counties were added to the State's watch list. Last Monday, there were 23 counties on the list, but there are now 30.
Newsom said the new closures are due to increasing hospitalization, ICU and positvity rates.
On July 17, 8,358 new cases were reported, and the 7-day average is 8,211. Last week, the 7-day average was at 7,876.
The positivity rate statewide over the past 14 days is at 7.4%.
San Benito and Monterey Counties released guidance saying that the listed business sectors for counties under the watch list are ordered to close indoor operations.
Santa Cruz County said it is not on the watch list, so it is only subject to the statewide orders, but Health Officer Dr. Gail Newel said she believes the county will be on the watch list within the next two weeks.
PREVIOUS STORY: California Gov. Gavin Newsom is providing an update on the State's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the California Department of Public Health, there were more than 320,000 confirmed cases as of July 11 and 7,017 deaths.