Skip to Content

Santa Cruz City Council denies oversized vehicle ordinance appeal

City of Santa Cruz

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KION-TV): UPDATE ON MARCH 14, 2024 AT 10:58 AM- On Tuesday night, the Santa Cruz City Council declined an effort to oppose continued enforcement of a overnight oversized vehicle parking ban.

The council voted 6-1 to deny the appeal.

Santa Cruz oversized vehicle parking enforcement begins Monday

The City of Santa Cruz's oversized vehicle ordinance is in effect beginning Monday, December 4.

People who live in oversized vehicles (OV) will need to buy a permit in order to park their oversized vehicle on certain city streets starting on Monday.

The ordinance restricts people from parking oversized vehicles between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m.

This applies to people who live in RVs, including Corlaine who moved to Santa Cruz after she tells KION she escaped a domestic violence situation in another state.

"This ordinance is a huge scare for me, personally," said Corlaine.

People who purchase permits from Santa Cruz could still park their vehicles overnight.

Multiple permits are available from the city, including residential, guest of residents, hotel guests and contractor permits:

  1. OV Residential Permits: $12 per year - Allows resident to park OV adjacent to their home for four periods of up to 72 consecutive hours per month.
  2. OV Guest Permits: $5 - Guests of residents to allow parking for 72 hours. Six permits could be purchased per year.
  3. OV Hotel Guest Permits: $5 per 72 hour permit - Available for hotels to purchase for guest use.
  4. OV Contractor Permits: $32 per year - Allows a qualifying resident and vehicle to park nightly.

A permitting process is being enforced after the city council heard complaints regarding environmental health issues related to OV's in the city.

The city also offers Safe Overnight parking options for people in OVs. To enroll the city asks that you call 831-420-5093 or email

It's a program Corlain said she's tried getting into, but so far hasn't had any luck.

"There's a huge wait list. I've been trying to get in contact with these people and I can't even get in. They can't even confirm when I'll be able to get into the program. So, where am I supposed to go?" Corlain said.

People can also report violation of the ordinance to the city.

To do so people can call 831-471-1131

Article Topic Follows: Santa Cruz County

Jump to comments ↓

Nataly Gutierrez

Author Profile Photo

Briana Mathaw


KION 46 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content