Two arrested in connection with Goshen massacre that killed 6 people, including 10-month baby
UPDATE Feb. 3, 2023, 10:32 a.m.- The Tulare County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday that two arrests were made in the shooting deaths of six people in Goshen.
On Friday morning, Sheriff Mike Boudreaux announced that 25-year-old Noah David Beard and 35-year-old Angel “Nanu” Uriarte were arrested. Both were described as validated gang members.
The suspects and members of the victim’s family have a long history of gang violence but the motive for the shooting “is not exactly clear,” Boudreaux said at a news conference at the sheriff’s headquarters in Visalia.
The Tulare County District Attorney’s Office charged both suspects with six counts of murder and other crimes.
Tulare County’s sheriff announced that “Operation Nightmare” began early Friday morning with a multi-agency operation to serve three search warrants. One was at the 1000 block of Noyes Street in Visalia, the 6600 block of Ave. 308 in Goshen, and the 7100 block of Avenue 308.
At the same time, the California Department of Corrections searched approximately eight prison cells and 16 inmates – in five prisons associated with a specific gang.
Deputies say that once they had identified the suspects, they were put under 24/7 physical surveillance starting on January 23 following their every move. Despite identifying them they wanted the Tulare County District Attorney to be confident and comfortable that no mistakes had been made in their process before making the arrest.
As soon as they had DNA confirmation, Sheriff Boudreaux says they commenced “Operation Nightmare.”
The suspects in the shooting of six people were identified as 25-year-old Noah David Beard of Visalia and 35-year-old Angel Uriarte of Goshen by the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office. Officials say both were validated gang members.
During Operation Nightmare, Sheriff Boudreaux says Bear was taken in Visalia without incident; Uriarte engaged in a gun battle with ATF agents which led to an officer-involved shooting. Uriarte was struck by gunshots and taken to the hospital and into surgery where he is in stable condition.
Through their investigation, deputies believe that Eladio Parraz was shot first in the torso and in the leg, followed by Marcos Parraz being shot in the head. Jennifer Analla they believe was asleep at the time when she was shot in her head. Rosa Parraz was found kneeling and shot in the head. They believe she was shot as she was attempting to get up to check on the noise.
During the press conference, the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office showed surveillance video of 16-year-old Alissa Parraz attempting to flee the residence with her 10-month-old child Nycholas Parraz by carefully putting the baby over the fence and then jumping the fence herself. The end of the clip shows Beard following them. He then shot and killed the teen and baby, who were both found dead in the street, shot in the back of the head.
The sheriff has said Alissa Parraz had just been awarded full custody of her son after he spent months in the foster care system. The two were reunited on Jan. 13 — three days before they were killed.
Deputies say both Alissa and her baby were found dead in the street after both being shot in the back of the head. That security footage can be seen in the video player at the top of this page.
The Sheriff says the autopsy concluded that all victims died from gunshot wounds. Officials add that, through their investigation, they determined that the suspects and some of the victims were part of rival gangs, both had a long history of gang violence and were heavily active in guns. The motive of this specific incident is unclear.
According to the Tulare County District Attorney, both suspects are being charged with six counts of murder. The charging documents filed by the DA’s office can be dowloaded clicking here.
6 killed identified, including teen mother and baby in "cartel style massacre" in Tulare County, sheriff says
UPDATE Jan. 17, 2023, 4:19 p.m.- The Tulare County Sheriff’s Office announced Tuesday the identities of the six people killed in what was described as a “ cartel-style massacre” in Goshen – as well as information about a reward for information in the investigation.
The victims of the shooting have all been identified by the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office:
- 52-year-old Eladio Parraz Jr.
- 19-year-old Marcos Parraz
- 50-year-old Jennifer Analla
- 72-year-old Rosa Parraz
- 16-year-old Elyssa Parraz
- 10-month-old Nycholas Parraz.
Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux says that on Monday at 3:38 a.m., the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to a home in the 6800 block of Harvest Road. Multiple shots had been fired, leading them to believe an active shooting was in progress.
Deputies arrived on the scene seven minutes later and reported discovering two people dead. It was later learned that a 911 call came from a surviving shooting victim who had not been hurt and had been hiding.
According to Sheriff Boudreaux, the deputies found a third deceased victim in the home's doorway. As deputies continued to search the area, they found multiple victims in the area of the property.
There were victims inside and outside of the home. One of the victims was still alive, says Sheriff Boudreaux. Deputies immediately started CPR, and the victim was transported to the hospital, where he later died.
The baby, Nycholas, and her mother Elyssa were found lying next to each other down the street, according to deputies and investigators believe that Elyssa and her baby were running from the scene.
Through forensics, they learned that the shooters stood over Elyssa and fired rounds into her head. Nycholas also suffered from the same attack. They say it was deliberate, intentional, and not by accident.
Officials clarified that the ages of both Elyssa Parraz and Nycholas Parraz were updated from the previous day.
“It’s shocking to the nation. It’s shocking that this kind of violence in our community exists,” said Sheriff Mike Boudreaux.
Deputies say there were three surviving victims. There was one person in the home hiding as they could hear the gunfire in the home. They say he was holding the door closed, and the suspects eventually moved on after trying to open the door.
The two other surviving victims were hiding in a trailer near the property. One of them was shot as the suspects fired at the trailer door.
Deputies say they are looking for two suspects, possibly a third that could have been a getaway driver. They also revealed that this family was targeted and that gang and drug associations were involved.
However, during Tuesday afternoon’s press conference, Sheriff Boudreaux emphasized that not everyone in the home was a gang member or a drug dealer.
Regarding the history of law enforcement at the home, deputies say that on January 3, they conducted a parole compliance check on this home. They say it’s a known home to the Sheriff’s Office, as gang activity has routinely occurred. During the compliance check, deputies saw shell casings outside of the home.
When asked to enter the residence, deputies were denied entry – so they obtained a search warrant.
Deputies say that during the search of the home, they found Eladio Parraz, who already had felony convictions, was in possession of ammunition, a felon in possession of a firearm, a felon in possession of a short barrel rifle, a felon in possession of an assault weapon, had a loaded weapon, was in possession of a firearm, and possession of a controlled substance. However, Parraz was able to bail out of jail four days later.
Sheriff Boudreaux described the shooting as a cartel-style execution. While he is not saying that a cartel could have been involved, he is also not eliminating the possibility. The victims were clearly shot in the head and in places where the shooter would know that a quick death would occur.
Autopsies of the victims are expected to be completed by Friday.
Deputies say that detectives are collecting hundreds of pieces of evidence and are still canvassing the area as of Tuesday afternoon. The Tulare County Sheriff’s Office is asking those living and working in the area to look at security videos between 3:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. and submit it to the department if any suspicious activity was recorded. There is currently a reward of up to $10,000 for information that helps this investigation progress.
The investigation is being assisted by resources provided by the ATF, DEA, FBI, Homeland Security, Department of Justice, and the California Department of Corrections.
6 killed, including teen mother and baby in Tulare County, sheriff says
GOSHEN, Calif. (KSEE/KGPE) – The Tulare County Sherriff’s Office is investigating the shooting deaths of six people in Goshen, according to Sheriff Mike Boudreaux. The sheriff says one of the victims was a six-month-old baby.
Deputies responded to the 6800 Block of Harvest Road around 3:30 a.m. for multiple shots heard and believed there was possibly an active shooter due to the number of rounds being fired, according to Sheriff Boudreaux.
Boudreaux says when deputies arrived, they found two victims dead in the street. As deputies searched the area, they found a third victim in the doorway of a home. One victim was still alive and was taken to the hospital after deputies performed CPR on him on the scene. But he was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Deputies searched the area and found more victims, including a 16-year-old mother and a 10-month-old child who were shot and killed.
Boudreaux says there are at least two suspects, and that this is not a random act of violence. It appears this family was targeted and there are gang associations involved, as well as potential drug investigations. A week ago, the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office detectives conducted a narcotics search warrant at the victims’ home.
Deputies say that Tulare County Sheriff’s Office Crime Lab, Forensics Unit, Homicide Detectives, and Gang Detectives are on scene investigating. Anyone with information is asked to call the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office at 559-733-6218.