Skip to Content

Capitola apartment fire possibly from unattended candles; firefighters

CAPITOLA, Calif. (KION-TV) -- This article has been updated.

A non-injury fire broke out on Grace Street in Capitola Friday afternoon. Two cats were in the home at the time of the fire but were later located.

Crews on scene were able to extinguish the fire quickly from the back of the house. The cause of the fire was from unattended candles. It was confirmed that the resident was home at the time of the fire.

Battalion Chief Ryan Peters told KION that he had received multiple phone calls from neighbors about smoke coming from the home. Crews have left the scene.

Capitola Police showed up on scene and issued a shelter-in-place for neighbors until the fire was extinguished. Central Fire's Nigel Miller confirmed that the fire was put out quickly and the order lifted.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

Author Profile Photo

Jeanette Bent

I’ve been an international professional writer and performer for over 25 years. With a background in journalism, creative writing, dance and aerial, I find the intersection between all of these skills lands itself somewhere under the term “storytelling.”


KION 46 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content