HOLLISTER, Calif. (KION) Hollister police and several other area agencies said they issued several illegal firework citations over the weekend, and police said it appears the number of illegal fireworks is the worst it has ever been.
Police said there were about 107 calls about illegal fireworks, and the Hollister Fire Department responded to nine fires caused by fireworks. Police said there were four times over the holiday weekend when no fire service was available, even with extra staffing. If there had been another fire reported, police said there would not be a firefighter available to respond immediately.
Police said they deployed officers in unmarked vehicles Friday and Saturday nights, and they issued 32 citations and seized several loads of illegal fireworks.
These are the areas where citations were issued:
- 3 in the 200 block of Lassen Court
- 200 block of Graf Road Park Hill
- 2 in the 2100 block of Highland Drive
- 200 block of Mariposa Street
- 100 block of Line Street
- 200 block of Madera Court
- 300 block of Rustic Street
- 1300 block of Bonnie View Dr.
- Peach Lane
- 1200 block of Marille Lane
- 1300 block of Trente Court
- 900 block of Powell Street
- 1000 block of Sally Street
- 2200 block of Ventana Court
- 1200 block of Nez Perce Drive
- 300 block of Eastview Court
- Promise Way
- 00 block of Eastview Drive
- 500 block of Honeysuckle Way
- Browns Alley
- 500 block of Powell Street
- 500 block of Lavender Way
- 1100 block of Apricot Lane
- 1200 block of Tamara Court
- 2 on Gia Court
- 1200 block of Morningside Court
- 1200 block of Scenic Drive
Because of the loud noises, several pets also escaped from their homes and were taken to the shelter.
"Our veterans suffering from PTSD and our frightened pets had to endure a holiday weekend full of unnecessary and consistent bombardment of explosions and screeching whistles," police said in a statement.
Fines for illegal fireworks start at $1,000 and can go up to $2,000 for repeated offences. Violators could also face misdemeanor or felony charges that can come with fines and jail time.