GOLETA, Calif. (KION) A change in weather conditions is leading to a change in fire restrictions at Los Padres National Forest.
Because the area now has more moisture, campfires and charcoal barbecues are now allowed in all parts of the forest, but a campfire permit is needed to build a fire outside of a designated campfire use site
Those who build wood or charcoal fires outside of the designated sites need to clear all flammable material for at least five feet in all directions, have a shovel for building and extinguishing the fire, be present at all times and extinguish it using water and the "drown, stir and feel" method.
Some fire restrictions are still in effect, including:
- Spark arresters are required on off-road vehicles, chainsaws and other internal combustion engines and equipment.
- Permits are required for welding, grinding, cutting and use of explosives.
- Tracer ammunition is not allowed.
- Fireworks are not allowed in the forest at any time.
- Recreational target shooting is not allowed outside of the Winchester Canyon Gun Club and Ojai Valley Gun Club.
For more information, the Monterey Ranger District can be reached at 831-385-5434.