UPDATE: 6/5/2017 10:00 p.m.
Sierra LaMar’s convicted killer escapes the death penalty after a jury decided he should spend the rest of his life in prison rather than be put to death.
The jury was the same one that found Antolin Garcia-Torres guilty in May of first degree murder.
He was also found guilty in the attempted kidnappings of 3 other women.
While LaMar’s family is grateful, they aren’t totally satisfied with the decision.
“I would be lying if I didn’t say I was disappointed in the verdict (sentence),” Steve LaMar, Sierra’s father said. “He’ll be able to live. Sierra won’t. He’ll be able to breath. Sierra doesn’t.”
Steve LaMar’s reaction ends a more than 5-year wait for justice.
“He’ll be able to eat everyday. See his family. We don’t have that,” Steve LaMar said. “His family doesn’t grieve. We’ll grieve for the rest of our lives. So I’m disappointed.”
Antolin Garcia-Torres was convicted in the 2012 kidnapping and death of Morgan Hill teen Sierra LaMar.
Her mother also spoke after hearing the sentence.
“I feel at peace that he will not be on the streets and harm another child but, the angst will be in our lives forever,” Marlene LaMar, Sierra’s mother said.
Garcia-Torres’s defense attorney made a plea for his life, telling the jury that justice doesn’t have to be an eye for an eye.
“We’re thankful for the life verdict,” attorney Brian Matthews said. “We still believe in his innocence, we’re still going to fight for him but we’re thankful today for the life verdict.”
The Santa Clara district attorney also spoke after the sentence saying that though it was a significant day, nothing will bring LaMar back.
“There is no joy in the verdict. Only mourning the death of a child who was murdered,” DA Jeff Rosen said. “A void that will forever ache and that can never be filled.”
Sierra LaMar’s body still has not been found, though a volunteer search organization is still active.
LaMar would have been 20 years old.
UPDATE: 6/5/2017 1:34 p.m.
Antolin Garcia Torres has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murder of 15-year-old Sierra LaMar.
Last month, jury unanimously found Garcia-Torres guilty of kidnapping the teenager.
According to the Santa Clara County Superior Court, a decision regarding the fate of convicted killer Antolin Garcia Torres has been reached by the jury in the Sierra Lamar case.
The sentencing decision will be announced publicly at 1:30 p.m. from the Santa Clara Hall of Justice.
Garcia Torres was found guilty of kidnapping and killing the teenager.
LaMar went missing March 16, 2012 on her way to school. Her body was never found.
Stay tune for the latest.