Skip to Content

Early morning blaze destroys Santa Cruz apartment building

A fire early Tuesday morning in Santa Cruz left an apartment building uninhabitable.

Santa Cruz City Fire was dispatched to the 400 block of Maple Avenue around 5 a.m. for a reported structure fire. As they were responded, they received information that residents were trapped inside.

When crews arrived, the bottom apartment was consumed by flames. Crews made an aggressive attack on the fire, while other firefighters searched for any residents still inside.

All occupants were able to get out prior to firefighters’ arrival. One occupant from the involved apartment was transported to a San Jose hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The fire was controlled within one hour. All apartments are currently uninhabitable due to fire and electrical damage to the complex.

According to Battalion Chief Mike Venezio, the fire was started by a candle in one of the bedrooms.

Article Topic Follows: News

KION546 News Team


KION 46 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content