SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KION) Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Thursday that the state is issuing a limited Stay at Home order due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases in California.
Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., non-essential work and gatherings will not be allowed in the purple tier of the Blueprint for a Safer Economy, the most restrictive tier. Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties are all in the purple tier.
The order will take effect at 10 p.m. Saturday and end at 5 a.m. on Dec. 21.
The Office of Governor Gavin Newsom said this is the same as the stay-at-home order issued in March, but only effective overnight in purple tier counties.
“The virus is spreading at a pace we haven’t seen since the start of this pandemic and the next several days and weeks will be critical to stop the surge. We are sounding the alarm,” said Governor Newsom. “It is crucial that we act to decrease transmission and slow hospitalizations before the death count surges. We’ve done it before and we must do it again.”
State officials said activities during the overnight hours are often non-essential and are more likely to be related to social activities and gatherings, which they said are more likely to lead to reduced inhibition and reduced likelihood of adhering to safety measures.
On Monday, 28 counties were moved to the purple tier, so 94% of California's population will be subject to the overnight restrictions. The state also strengthened its face covering guidance and issued a travel advisory last week.
California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly is set to provide an update at 3 p.m.